As you know, I went to see the surgeon today. She reiterated the pathology report as previously reported:
- The tumor was 1.7 cm.
- There was no cancer in the lymph nodes.
- There was a minimum 4 mm margin around the tumor.
- My Estrogen and Progesterone Receptors are both positive.
- The screening test shows my HER2/neu gene is also positive.
- I have a Stage I, Type II cancer. (Apparently Type II is the same as "Medium")
Because of the above, Dr. Christian is "pretty sure" I will need chemo therapy prior to having radiation. This news was very unexpected. I knew I would need radiation, but I had no idea I would need chemo since I have a Stage I, Type II cancer.Apparently, I am "young" for breast cancer. Most breast cancer patients are over 60. Because I am 48, they will treat me more aggressively, hence the chemo. However, there is still a possibility that I won't need the chemo. That will be determined once the final test results are back in 7 -10 days.
I have an appointment Thursday 3/1 with the Radiation Oncologist and on Wednesday 3/7 with the Chemo Oncologist.
My cough is FINALLY gone. Both Tom and I are very happy about that. On another note, Dr. Christian released me for work. So "yippee" I get to work full time. No more lady of leisure for me!