Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Boy, this blog really works! When I don't post in a "timely" manner, I hear it from you!!

As you know, I went to see the surgeon today. She reiterated the pathology report as previously reported:
  • The tumor was 1.7 cm.
  • There was no cancer in the lymph nodes.
  • There was a minimum 4 mm margin around the tumor.
New Pathology results showed:
  • My Estrogen and Progesterone Receptors are both positive.
  • The screening test shows my HER2/neu gene is also positive.
  • I have a Stage I, Type II cancer. (Apparently Type II is the same as "Medium")

Because of the above, Dr. Christian is "pretty sure" I will need chemo therapy prior to having radiation. This news was very unexpected. I knew I would need radiation, but I had no idea I would need chemo since I have a Stage I, Type II cancer.

Apparently, I am "young" for breast cancer. Most breast cancer patients are over 60. Because I am 48, they will treat me more aggressively, hence the chemo. However, there is still a possibility that I won't need the chemo. That will be determined once the final test results are back in 7 -10 days.

I have an appointment Thursday 3/1 with the Radiation Oncologist and on Wednesday 3/7 with the Chemo Oncologist.

My cough is FINALLY gone. Both Tom and I are very happy about that. On another note, Dr. Christian released me for work. So "yippee" I get to work full time. No more lady of leisure for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be hoping you dodge the Chemo Bullet. Sounds like it's almost time for a Girls' Weekend... Tell those friends of yours that it's time to say "Down Periscope" and go to the movies...

Wesley....